Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Snowbound Mishaps and Magic

Living in the mountains of southern California is great. While much of the state braces in the midst of wide-spread flooding, we get to bask in the warm glow of morning snow.
The snow began late Tuesday morning, and has hardly ceased. Being a senior of Frazier Mountain High School, this means many great things. We were released at 12:30 on Tuesday, because of the large volume of snow that had already fallen to that point. Today was a snow day, and we have already received the call stating tomorrow's snow day as well. Snow days are incredible.
A typical snow day for me consists of guilt free laziness. Aside from a few household chores, lengthened slightly by the snow, I am free to do as I please. Chores consist of maintaining a fire (as per winter days), standard mealtime chores, and shoveling out the car.
Today, even after shoveling out the car, it was still stuck. 2 inches of ice, and nothing to use to gain more traction means our Subaru Forester is imprisoned in the drive way. However, our poor dog, Kramer, was low on food. I decided I would trek the half mile down to the store to pick up the few things we needed. Upon the failure to rescue the Sube, my mom decided to join me.
The walk was largely uneventful, with a couple exceptions. The first being the store's closure. The very reason for our evening ice stroll was closed for the night, we guessed for a lack of customers. Second, I lost one of my ice cleats. They are a simple rubber webbing with 6 strategically placed spikes that pull over the boot to help on ice. I had been checking every few hundred feet, but it just happened to fall off. We turned back to search. The light of my headlamp not bright enough in the search. As we continued walking, what else turned the corner but a snow plow! The search became dire. I had seconds to find my cleat before it was consumed by the snow plow and lost until the eventual snow melt. Closer it got, I looked more frantically. Nothing. Closer still, and still nothing. 25 feet, and still nothing. Found it! Completely in the path of the plow and only moments before missing one left cleat and having one cleat left. Crisis (however small) averted. Time to head home to the cozy fire and the soon hungry dog. Sorry Kramer. Tomorrow for sure.
Otherwise, the snow is incredible. It's always amazing how fast the mountain can change. I only wish I had some skis... And knew how to use them.

No comments:

Post a Comment