Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Update ~ 6/21/2011

I've been gone a while, but I've decided to come back and write again; whether anybody reads this or not.

If you read from the first post through to this post, you will see that I made many big claims to even bigger goals. I had training days and dreams for the future. Then I became very demoralized with everything when it seemed it would be a long time before anything came out of my training efforts. Additionally, I was struggling with my parents divorce (they have since changed their mind). For these reasons, I stopped writing.

I spent last year at Cal State, Northridge. It was my first year of college, and I was majoring in business. I was dorming with 3 roommates and about 10 other people who practically lived in my room. Long story short, I was unhappy with this situation.

There was however one major shining light in the whole situation. My job with AS Rec Outdoors, a campus organization that runs the campus rock wall and leads outdoor trips. I absolutely love my job. My average day can be a little boring, but the part I love is leading trips.

In addition to working with AS Outdoors, I was also able to meet several people who have helped in my progression into the outdoor world. Mike Taylor (pictured with me in my profile picture) was a great person to meet, as he and I went on my first backpacking trip. This trip was not in the least mild. We did a winter alpine ascent of Mt. San Jacinto (10,834 ft) just outside Idyllwild, CA. A 4 day trip and one of my most fun weekends. Other people are my boss Tim, who has been a great mentor for me, my coworker Ian, another great mentor, and Anthony.

So that is very briefly what brought me to where I am now. As of today, I resumed training after being sick the past few weeks. I am training for a 1 month trip to the Waddington Range in British Columbia, Canada with NOLS, the National Outdoor Leadership School. I am beyond excited. I leave in less than 3 weeks and will be home August 17th.

I will begin posting again as I train and during my trip as is possible. I apologize for what I'm sure is choppy writing. It has been a while since I've done any real creative and fun writing, so I'll just need a post or two before I gain my flow again.

No comments:

Post a Comment